Pages

Wednesday 30 May 2012

NDLEA BOSS OPENS UP: BABA SUWE REALLY INGESTED HARD DRUGS




What could be regarded as the most intrigue drug allegation and investigation in Nigeria, the NDLEAD boss opens up again about the drug issue relating to the movie icon Baba Suwe and reaffirms the allegation as being true.

Hamza Umar, who is the commander of NDLEA at Murtala Mohammed Airport, stated that the agency machine being used for detecting drug is 99.9 percent accurate and had never missed the real culprit.

In an interview with Sunday Trust, Umar said that before the arrest of Baba Suwe, he did not know who Baba Suwe is and the binding factor with him is the machine.
“He was travelling with a group of friends and the machine picked him and said he had drugs concealed in him. When the matter was becoming controversial, I asked if there is a good screening centre here in Lagos.


“I was told of the University of Lagos teaching hospital and I asked that they should take him there. I did so to have an independent opinion from a professional. He was taken there and the Chief Radiologist said look, I have to get my Consultant. He and the Consultant examined, tested and screened him with their machines and gave me the report in writing.

“Our medical team collected the written report and brought to me. The hospital said in the report that Baba-Suwe had drugs concealed in his stomach. In the report, they said they analyzed him from the head, to the body and down to the legs and concluded that his stomach is invested with particles that are consistent with narcotics.

“But they said in the report that they cannot specify the drugs by name. They suggested that it could only be specified by laboratories. Mind you, I am not an expert in that field. I am only an officer of the NDLEA.

“If you were in my shoes will you release that man? I did not stop at that anyway, I insisted I wanted another report from another group of experts. I was told that there was another well-equipped place that they call Me-Cure here in Lagos. I said take him there also. I referred him there and they gave me the same result,” the NDLEA boss concluded.

The anti-drug agency has been ordered by the court to pay the sum of 25 million naira to Baba for violation of his rights. This order is being appealed at the Appeal Court.

No comments:

Post a Comment