Pages

Monday 21 October 2013

MALALA YOUSAFZAI LEAVES JON STEWART IN SHOCK ON DAILY SHOW


Malala Yousafzai, the teenager activist shot by a Taliban gunman last year, appeared on the Daily Show this week ahead of the pending announcement for the 2013 recipient of the Nobel Peace Prize.
Discussing her new book 'I Am Malala' the 16-year-old's profound response to one of Jon Stewart's questions left him in awe.

Stewart asked her what she thought when she first heard of Taliban threats to her life.

"I started thinking about that the Talib would come and he would just kill me," she said.

"But then I thought, ‘If he comes, what would you do Malala? Then I would reply to myself, ‘Malala, just take a shoe and hit him."


"But then I said, ‘If you hit a Talib with a shoe, then there would be no difference between you and the Talib," she continued.

"You must not treat others with cruelty and that harshly, you must fight others through peace and through dialogue and education. Then I said, ‘I'll tell him how important education is and that I even want education for your children, as well.

"And I would tell him, ‘That's what I want to tell you, now do what you want.'"

Later in the interview Stewart asks if he can adopt Malala.

One year since the Taliban tried to silence Malala's demand for girls' education rights, the teenager could become the world's youngest recipients of the Nobel Peace Prize.


- Gary Fennelly

No comments:

Post a Comment